Infrastructure Projects, Energy and Natural Resources
The infrastructure, energy and natural resources sectors are undergoing a period of unprecedented growth and transformation. Businesses need the assistance of legal counsel who are experienced in the particular commercial, financing, regulatory and environmental conditions that apply to these sectors.
Our team of Projects lawyers have extensive experience of complex infrastructure projects and energy projects nationally and internationally and have advised a variety of different clients both in the public and private sector. Our team brings together expertise across the corporate, construction, financing, regulatory and environmental fields, as part of a collaborative, multi-disciplinary approach.
In relation to procurement, we are highly experienced of the issues that arise, whether in relation to public or private procurement; members of our team have acted as commercial managers, principals and advisers to the Board on bids. We therefore have a clear understanding of the risks involved not only from a legal, but also from a commercial perspective.
We are familiar with the interface issues that are of critical importance on large projects and can advise on the best structure to use depending on the project.
Within the energy sector, we have experience of energy from waste projects and renewable energy projects such as biomass, solar and district heating projects. Members of our team have worked for energy supply companies and have experience of energy supply contracts, energy trading agreements and PPAs as well as drafting bespoke contracts for entry into the electricity capacity market. We have experience of negotiating energy services contracts (including solar panel installation, EWI, IWI and Green Deal financing).
We advise on PPP/PFIs and LIFT projects in sectors such as defence, roads, accommodation, education, leisure, police and health and this has included the design, finance, construction and operation of local authority facilities and related variations, adjudications and disputes.
We are experienced in mining related projects, including project financing, extraction agreements and downstream supplies.
We are able to work as part of your project team offering a ‘cradle to grave’ approach with the ability to provide advice and assistance at all stages within the life cycle of major projects. This may be from inception, including procurement advice and pre-tender documentation through to reviewing and negotiating all necessary contract documents to project close and beyond, including assisting with ongoing issues and disputes as and when they arise on projects.
- procurement, including the UK and EU Procurement Regulations and OJEU requirements
- construction and engineering contracts both bespoke and the standard form suites including JCT, NEC, FIDIC and IChemE
- project security and auxiliary documentation including parent company guarantees, bonds, appointments and collateral warranties
- property documents
- shareholder agreements
- project agreements
- operation and maintenance contracts
- interface agreements
- retail energy supply contracts
- energy trading agreements
- energy services contracts
- insurance arrangements
- dispute resolution (informal, mediation, adjudication, arbitration and litigation)
- developers, funders, project sponsors and employers
- contractors and suppliers of all tiers
- consultants and providers of specialist services
- public sector bodies including local authorities, NHS Trusts, police and fire authorities, local education authorities
- further and higher education providers