Partner - Employment
Amanda is an award-winning, multilingual employment lawyer and HR Director with a passion for great employee experience and culture. She takes a progressive, commercial and hands on approach to her work, is results-focused and loves working in fast-paced environments.
Amanda has worked at a senior level for some notable brands such as British Airways, BT, Barclays, Equinix, Menzies Aviation and Mitie during her corporate career as a solicitor and HR Director, and with start ups, SMEs and charities throughout her consulting career.
Amanda’s roles have given her international commercial and hands-on HR experience in setting and delivering businesses strategies, employee and industrial relations matters, change and transformation, crisis management (such as the COVID19 pandemic and continuity planning), business turnaround, restructuring/organisational design, mergers and acquisitions, TUPE/outsourcing, employee engagement, and leadership and development. This is all underpinned by Amanda’s experience as an employment lawyer.
She has been a frequent media commentator on employment rights during the COVID19 pandemic, including appearances as the employment rights expert for the ITV lunchtime news, This Morning Show and national newspapers. Having joined Spencer West as a Partner in the employment team, Amanda is now able to advise clients seamlessly when they require legal advice on employment law matters, as opposed to pure HR solutions which she continues to deliver through her HR consulting business.
Outside of work, Amanda has provided pro bono HR advice to Veterans Aid (a military charity) for over 10 years, is a member of the Finance Committee at her local church and has experience as a school governor and trustee of a children’s charity in the care sector.
Amanda is a proud mum of 3 children, speaks Dutch, German and French, enjoys travel and taking part in endurance events such as Tough Mudder.
“Amanda looks at matters from both the employer’s and employee’s perspective, and has been key in influencing our culture. She’s my trusted go-to person - a really powerful leader and very credible at Board level. She sets high goals, is an expert in transformation and is a team player. She’s ideal for a growing organisation” – CEO, charity sector
“Amanda brings an energy to HR activities, while being task and results focused. Very dynamic, a nice mix of visionary but also hands-on. Her technical and legal knowledge of HR is excellent. Amanda is very good at understanding the cultural elements of our region (19 countries), and is proactive and positive in engaging people” – Regional CEO, aviation sector
All aspects of employment law, across multiple sectors, with particular experience of:
- Resolving workplace disputes at all levels of the business, including mediation, investigations and settlement agreements
- Restructuring and reorganisation
- Business transfers such as TUPE transfers in and out
- Mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence and employment aspects of commercial contracts
- Industrial (trade union) relations and negotiations
- Employment aspects of COVID support for employers and employees (furlough scheme and related matters)
- Employment contracts and directors’ service agreements
- Design and delivery of HR initiatives including employee engagement, employee/industrial relations, change and transformation programmes, integration of workforces and harmonisation of employment terms (through Amanda’s experience as an HR Director)
- Menzies Aviation PLC
- Equinix Inc
- British Airways PLC
- Barclays PLC
- Mitie Group PLC
- Shadbolt & Co