Senior Consultant - Tax Disputes and Investigations
Monty is one of the leading tax practitioners (non-lawyer) in the field of tax disputes and investigations, with over 20 years’ experience of assisting high net-worth individuals, owner-managed businesses, and large corporates on tax disputes and investigations with HMRC, from enquiry stage to appeals before the tax tribunals and national courts. He a tax disputes expert, who draws on many years of industry experience and works alongside lawyers and specialist tax barristers who are themselves leaders in their field. He handles cases covering a wide range of UK and EU tax legislation, including arising out of HMRC tax policies and public notices, VAT investigations and disputes, as well as white collar crime and commercial disputes.
As an ex-international cricketer, he brings the tenacity, energy, and dedication of a professional sportsman to his work as a tax disputes and investigations specialist. His long association with HMRC means that he can guide his clients on complicated government policies, white collar crime and tax investigations and disputes with HMRC, National Crime Agency and the Serious Fraud Office, enabling clients to understand the impact of tax laws which can result in significant savings, including for example where Monty recently secured a multi-million-pound VAT refund for a major corporate client, thereby enabling the client to avoid insolvency.
Monty has expertise in the following areas:
- HMRC tax disputes and investigations
- Brexit VAT issues and EU VAT recovery
- Customs & Excise
- UK VAT refunds
- Criminal investigations into tax evasion and account freezing orders
- HMRC ‘dawn raids’
- judicial reviews
- furlough fraud, white collar fraud, carbon emission certificate tax fraud, film finance fraud.
- A limited company (current) v HMRC – Acting for a large car dealer to defend HMRC’s decision to deny millions of pounds of input tax on zero-rating sales of vehicles
- Duesmann & Hensel Recycling – Successfully opposing HMRC’s decision to refuse UK VAT refund applications from the precious metal trade which ran to millions of pounds
- Atlantic Electronics v HMRC – Achieving savings of millions of pounds by challenging tax decisions which fell substantially within the client’s right to opt out from legal costs
- ‘An individual’ v HMRC – Challenging the lawfulness of a search warrant issued by HMRC in the High Court
- Demazda International UK Ltd – Challenging a Notice of Direction issued by HMRC to ‘keep specified’ business records
- A UK Business v HMRC – Challenging HMRC’s VAT assessment in millions of pounds, for output tax zero-rated exports of high value cars
- A UK business v HMRC - Breach of confidence, breach of statutory duty and defamation claims, securing damages for loss of business arising as a result of HMRC’s actions for breach of taxpayer confidentiality
- A UK Business v HMRC - Value Added Tax – Repayment of input tax – applying to debar HMRC from bringing proceedings in relation to their denial of input tax.
- Freeport warehouses present new opportunities for UK importers
- Detect, deter and prevent illegal and destructive activities
- HMRC seeking billions back in clamp down on furlough fraud
- Tax Heaven attracting corporate billions
- Challenge, the lawfulness of a search warrant in the HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE by Monty
- The VAT treatment of CRYPTOASSETS
The Contractual Disclosure Facility for Tax Evasion
Tax evasion, more commonly known as tax fraud is a punishable offence under UK law with penalties ranging from a £5000 fine...Article | Posted: 14 Feb 2022
Tax Reform for Fiscal Recovery
With low wages and disruptive lockdowns eroding the tax base during the COVID-19 crisis, major tax reform is the only way to...Article | Posted: 2 Feb 2022
"An energetic and charismatic professional Monty Jivraj gives every case his all."
"I have known Monty for 9 years. Monty is a tenacious representative who always fights his client’s coroner. He leaves no stone unturned and is adept at finding the right people to help him “get the job done” for his clients. Monty is always available for urgent assistance and clearly knows the importance of that assistance to his clients who might be facing a particularly difficult time. He recognises the importance of active engagement with opponents to achieve a result."
"Imaginative, creative and energetic, Monty is a man who ‘thinks out of the box’, but always with an eye firmly on achieving a good business outcome for the client. Not only does he ‘know his stuff’, but he's a great collaborative worker. Result: the whole is greater than the sum of the parts."
"Monty Jivraj is an extremely driven, determined and tenacious litigator. He has long experience of handling disputes before the Tax Tribunal. He excels not only at working hard, and fighting his client's corner, but in spotting points and arguments which many others would miss."
Tax disputes and investigations; VAT recovery for UK and EU; criminal investigations into tax evasion and account freezing; dawn raids; judicial review; furlough fraud; white collar crime; commercial dispute resolution
- Fletcher Day
- Jeffrey Green Russell