Pam Dosanjh Phillips
Partner - Employment
Pam was admitted as a solicitor in 2003, and is a highly regarded employment solicitor, providing a progressive, commercial and holistic approach that is tailored to the client’s needs and desired outcomes. Pam has worked in both private practice - assisting SMEs, large employers and individuals - and as a senior in-house lawyer for two large public bodies over the last 17+ years.
Pam’s roles have given her insight into balancing commercial, strategic and political priorities, as well as significant experience in resolving emerging and complex issues within industrial relations matters, organisational change and design management, TUPE (service provision change; insourcing, outsourcing and due diligence during procurement processes), and leading negotiations during complex settlement agreements and exit discussions for senior leaders.
Pam is also an experienced litigator, supporting clients through what can be a difficult and emotional process with empathy and drive. Pam is able to understand the key legal case issues and offers solution-focused and practical advice to ensure the client feels confident in deciding what approach they should take. She is an intuitive negotiator, adopting a conciliatory approach to achieving a commercial resolution.
Pam’s drive and passion for culture and equality has led her to becoming a trustee of a Cornish charity. She is also a qualified workplace investigator and workplace mediator, which she offers as a separate consultancy practice.
Areas of expertise:
- All aspects of employment law, across multiple sectors
- Complex employment tribunal cases, negotiating and drafting settlements
- Resolving workplace disputes at all levels of the business, including advising on complex disciplinary and grievance processes
- Employment contracts and directors’ service agreements
- Industrial (trade union) relations and negotiations
- Business transfers such as TUPE transfers in and out, due diligence
- Drafting and revising employment contracts, policies and staff handbooks and introducing the Bradford Factor to sickness procedure within the public sector
- Successfully represented a public sector client to strike out a claim for race discrimination on grounds that the claim was unlikely to succeed
- Representing multiple educational establishments in defending claims for unfair dismissal of head teacher, discrimination claims (to include, sex, disability, race and religious discrimination), whistleblowing claims, and successfully striking out claims at preliminary hearing from teachers on time issues
- Representing multiple respondents on claims for unfair dismissal, failure to inform and consult, whistleblowing and addressing preliminary jurisdiction issues regarding correct respondent and time limits
- Successfully defending public sector respondent against claims for disability discrimination, unfair dismissal and whistleblowing
- Represented respondent (Fire Authority) during litigation and judicial mediation for claims of disablity discrimination, sex discrimimation, whistleblowing and unfair dismissal
- Advising public sector, town and parish councils and commercial company on TUPE transfers disputes
- Preparing a due diligence toolkit for public sector to use in waste procurement for incoming and outgoing providers, to streamline the process and ensure relevant information is shared at appropriate stages
- Advising and drafting directors contracts, letters of engagement for independent chair and non-executive directors and recruitment packs for new company
- Advising group company on business re-organisation, inter group transfers and pay structure.
Pam Dosanjh Phillips calls for greater inclusion and diversity in business
Business Leader magazine sought views from a variety of experts for an article on diversity and inclusion in business. Pam...Press | Posted: 12 Jan 2022
Early Conciliation Changes
More than One prospective respondent (Implementation date : 1 December 2021). Many Employers may now be familiar with the early...Article | Posted: 13 Dec 2021
Working Time Rights of Employees
The workplace and how we work is constantly evolving, and never at such a pace as during the pandemic. So it is helpful...Article | Posted:
"It was fair to say that it was somewhat of a relief when this case concluded, but I felt very prepared and ‘ready’ to attend and that is thanks to Pam for her support and expertise. It really was the best result all round."
"Thank you for this outcome and all of your support, it’s been fantastic, and we really appreciate it."
Ms Colling, Client Manager
"Pam is an excellent employment lawyer/adviser. She has consistently provided first-class legal/professional support in respect of complex employment matters within our business; whilst having a real understanding of the commercial pressures within the business in general. Pam is a valued and trusted professional adviser to our businesses."
Mr R Zmuda
"I have worked with many very capable HR and employment lawyers over many years as a senior manager but Ms Dosanjh consistently impressed with sound legal knowledge underpinned by up-to-date research and excellent case management and preparation. Although it is not always a definitive measure of success, in the time I was a client of Ms Dosanjh, we never failed to either reach a mutually satisfactory settlement or failing that, success at the Employment Tribunal."
Mr J Cordery
"Pam is an exceptional professional and has supported our company on numerous occasions with a high degree of quality and flexibility. Pam works to achieve the best solution for our company and our clients, on each occasion taking care and demonstrating high professional standards into each project."
Mr S Burgess
"I have worked with many lawyers in my career; especially within SLT roles. Pam has successfully guided me through the complexities of employment law with the tenacity, professionalism and resilience I needed at a difficult time. Her advice and communications were robust when needed and forthright when required."
Dr, Richard Stones
All aspects of employment law, complex employment tribunal cases, workplace disputes, employment contracts, directors’ service agreements, industrial relations, business transfers
Qualifications and Professional bodies
- Richard Nelson LLP
- Cornwall Council
- Walsall Metropolitan Council
- Talbots Law
- Davisons Solicitors