Partner - Commercial, Intellectual Property & Private Client
Toby is a film and television lawyer and filmmaker who has acted for a hugely diverse range of companies and individuals.
Qualifying as a solicitor in 2008 at a mid-sized London firm, Toby remained there for three years, going on to spend several years at a boutique firm in the West End. He then became head of department and part of the senior management team at a London/Home Counties firm where he both advised clients and managed the firm. Latterly, Toby was a partner and head of department at a firm based in the City of London with offices in the South East.
Toby is an award-winning director, screenwriter and producer, and has founded and runs three London-based production companies. He is legal advisor for all of them. He has experience of film and television projects at all stages of production.
He has advised on distribution models and agreements, and broadcasting rights and agreements for both film and television projects, including non-scripted content and sport.
He has advised on finance agreements and models for film and television projects of all sizes. As an executive producer, Toby has led, promoted, and advised on finance for multiple screen projects.
Toby therefore understands and has had practical and legal experience of all facets of the film and television industries at executive and production level. He has worked on productions based in the UK and US, transatlantic projects, pan-European television, and on projects in other jurisdictions, including Africa.
His wide range of knowledge from all angles of the film and television industry gives him a unique insight into what his clients want and need, and allows him to give practical no-nonsense advice.
- Arranging and advising on finance structures and agreements for film and television
- Tax advice in relation to film and television and tax reliefs in the UK and major overseas jurisdictions/States
- Copyright and Intellectual Property advice and mediation
- Broadcasting agreements
- Content agreements and distribution
- Non-disclosure agreements and ancillary advice associate with them
- Contractual agreements for creative input (talent, music, soundtracks etc)
- Executive-level agreements and contracts
- Contracts and agreements at production level
- Publishing contracts and agreements
- Finders contracts and agreements
- Casting contract and agreements
- Insurance agreements for production companies
- Agreements for equipment hire and insurance
- Health and safety advice during production
- Contract advice for cast, crew and production staff
All aspects of film and television work, executive level and production level contracts and agreements, finance agreements and structuring, copyright and IP matters, publishing law, and private client matters.
Qualifications and Professional bodies
* Award-winning independent filmmaker, screenwriter, director and producer
* Thomas Mansfield (Partner)
* Underwood Solicitors LLP (Solicitor)
* Bishop & Sewell LLP (Solicitor)