Partner – Investment, Multi-Sector Projects, International Trade, Renewable Energy, Oil and Gas
Lawyer/Barrister- At-Law, LLB. BL MPhil (Cantab) FICA. Int. Dip.,
Fellow of the International Compliance Association,
Head of Africa Desk
mob: +44 7763 755 712
tel: +44 (0)20 7925 8080
Specialisms: Investments and International Trade, Multi-sector Projects, Construction, PPI/PPP, Energy/Renewable, Oil and Gas, Hospitality Development, Financial regulation/AML/ Compliance.
Frances-Yvonne Igweh holds a wealth of legal and business experience, spanning 20 years of practice in high net worth projects, construction, commercial contracts, energy, renewable energy, oil and gas (upstream, downstream and procurement), International trade, hospitality, and regulatory compliance matters with particular international expertise in Sub-Saharan and Emerging markets. Frances-Yvonne’s practice also focusses strongly on public and private equity financing, alternative investment solutions, and the representation of Sovereigns on financing matters.
Called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn, Frances-Yvonne undertook her masters at Cambridge University before starting out her practice at the leading sets of 3 Verulam Buildings and Essex Court Chambers where she was involved in high profile cases in financial services regulation, banking, reinsurance and insurance, and international corporate law matters.
Practice with leading law firms in the City of London, Clyde & Co and Barlow Lyde & Gilbert enabled the continued acquisition of extensive non-contentious and contentious experience in multi-national and cross jurisdictional cases. This formed an invaluable foundation for the honing of sharp business and legal skills and enabled a seamless move into International Private Consultancy in General Counsel roles advising Investment Developers and Clients in the global market on high value multi-million pound contracts with Governments and Organisations in public private partnerships on a multitude of projects covering power, road, public-sector buildings, renewable energy, oil and gas transactions and hotel construction matters. Huge experience in the drafting, negotiation and interpretation of all manner of commercial contracts provides a strong Contracts practice which firmly underpins the success of her work on matters ranging from Investment deals, large scale Construction and International Trade contracts, Hotel Management and Development Agreements and General business and Supply Contracts.
Further, as a Fellow of the International Compliance Association, Frances-Yvonne’s practice further encompasses a pro-active Compliance, Anti-corruption and Anti-money laundering Regulatory Service. A service which is highly beneficial and vital for Governments and large International Organisations in the current regulatory climate where governance and corporate concerns are firmly focussed on anti-corruption measures, such as the improvement of a country’s corruption index and the adherence to regulatory guidelines for business organisations.
On the corporate front, Frances-Yvonne is a Director of and sits on several Boards and Philanthropic organisations.
- Facilitation, advice and representation on Sovereign Bond purchases
- Advice and facilitation on private equity matters
- Advice on a multi-jurisdictional high net worth construction project in South and West Africa in the hospitality sector working with leading hotel brands
- Advice on International Public-Private development projects
- Advice to EPC contractors on a successful power plant project in Turkey
- Advice on international solar, gas and biomass renewable energy projects
- Advice on onshore and offshore projects within the oil and gas sector
- Provision of key contractual advice and drafting skills to business consultants working within the international projects sector in matters on renewable energy
Compliance and Regulatory Practice: compliance and anti-money laundering practice involving the provision of opinions, advice and training/briefing sessions on anti-money laundering and compliance to businesses.
- Creation of lecture topic: “The Role of Business Culture in the Success of an Effective Compliance Strategy”
- Creation of Lecture topic on: “The Impact of the New 5th Anti Money Laundering Directive and Key Aspects of the Directive”
- Liaising on and arranging seminars and panel discussions on current and relevant topics in AML and compliance
- Provision of vital compliance specialist advice to Governments and business to ensure robust systems and controls. Successfully identifying and protecting a high net worth client from a sophisticated money laundering threat to its business
- Providing compliance training and legal guidance to Directors and senior management of firms ensuring regulatory compliance for large international corporate client though the provision of industry specific regulatory advice.
What Frances-Yvonne says...
“Unarguably my primary focus as a lawyer, whether my opinion is sought as a higher one, or whether it is offered as part of a team, is always on the client and provision of the best advice possible coupled with the reduction of the level of risk they may be exposed to. Thus, my years of experience, legal and technical expertise coupled with a strong understanding of multi-jurisdictional laws enable me to provide the right client-focused, pro-active, commercial and legal advice in any matter required, where the needs of the client remain paramount”