Partner - Franchising, IP and Commercial Contracts
Andrew is a commercial lawyer specialising in franchising and brand licensing arrangements. He is the founder of Albany Fraser Solicitors, a boutique law firm operating in association with Spencer West which helps franchisors and franchisees of all shapes and sizes make better franchising decisions.
Whilst franchising is his vocation, Andrew often acts as external “in-house counsel” for clients, triaging problems and providing advice on all manner of commercial and legal issues.
An affiliate of the British Franchise Association, Andrew is a member of the BFA’s legal committee and a 'Qualified Franchise Professional' (one of only a very small number of lawyers in the UK to have been awarded this status).
In addition to being a solicitor, he has spent part of his career as a franchise consultant with one of the UK’s leading franchise consultancy practices assisting companies such as Ralph Lauren, American Eagle, Esprit and Whittard of Chelsea with international franchising projects.
Andrew has significant experience advising clients on:
- all manner of domestic and international Franchise Agreements and Licence Agreements;
- brand growth strategies (in particular, growth through franchising and licensing);
- day-to-day issues in the operation of franchise networks and businesses generally (including franchise disputes and terminations);
- the purchase and sale of franchise businesses;
- brand protection strategies and implementation; and
- all manner of commercial contracts including terms and conditions, supplier agreements and software licenses.
Press Release | Spencer West's Scotland Expansion
Law Firm Spencer West expands into new offices in Scotland with three key hires, enhancing Franchising services and expanding its Real Estate offeringPress | Posted: 14 Sep 2023
- "He is a brilliant franchising lawyer who is extremely personable."
- "He knows franchising backwards.”
- “He is pragmatic, diligent and tenacious with an enviable ability to get to the heart of a problem, quickly and effectively.”
- “I couldn't recommend him more highly, an out and out professional and great problem solver, I feel very fortunate to have him on my side.”
- “I cannot recommend him enough, you need Andy in your corner when franchising your business!”
Franchising (UK and International), Commercial Contracts, Intellectual Property
- Albany Fraser Solicitors
- Glasgow 2014 Limited (Commonwealth Games) – on secondment
- Harper Macleod LLP
- AMO Consulting (Franchise Consultants)
- DLA Piper Scotland LLP