Partner - Commercial Real Estate
Azeem is extremely passionate about the Real Estate sector, having supplemented his legal studies with a Masters in Real Estate before qualifying and working within the top-ranked Scottish Real Estate team at Brodies LLP. Thereafter, having moved to Blackadders LLP, Azeem’s frequent high calibre of transactional work resulted in the Legal 500 noting him as a ‘Recommended Lawyer’ and such work was instrumental to the Real Estate team achieving a first time ranking in the Legal 500.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, Azeem developed a fast-food business from a handful of stores in Central Scotland to a nationally recognised franchise model operating over 100 outlets across the UK – efforts which resulted in success at the UK Asian Business Awards.
This entrepreneurial and commercial flare coupled with Azeem’s knowledge of the sector, technical excellence and pragmatic approach is what underpins the success of his work. This has resulted in a significant network of clients including house-hold names from the retail, fast-food and coffee sector as well as national and international investors, developers and lenders.
- Managing the entire Scottish portfolio of the UK’s largest convenience store chain - including acquisitions, disposals, renewals, terminations and general title queries.
- Leading the Scottish property element of the takeover of Thomas Cook – including leases at shopping centres in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen as well as major town centre high streets.
- Representing a Middle Eastern client in acquiring investment property let to Sainsbury’s, Burger King and Morrisons and with a combined value of £8 million.
- Representing a UK property fund worth £30 million in acquiring investment property let to JD Sports, Dominos Pizza and Pure Gym.
- Representing various franchise groups operating McDonald’s, Dominos Pizza, German Doner Kebab and Costa Coffee outlets in relation to all property advice - including lease acquisition, land acquisition for self-built units and pre-lets in off-plan developments.
- Law Society of Scotland - Mentor.
- The Well Foundation – Member.
Press Release | Spencer West's Scotland Expansion
Law Firm Spencer West expands into new offices in Scotland with three key hires, enhancing Franchising services and expanding its Real Estate offeringPress | Posted: 14 Sep 2023
‘Reliable, proactive, pragmatic and a pleasure to deal with’
‘The most ‘just gets it done’ solicitor we have ever dealt with’
‘excellent legal mindset, but also very commercially astute in his approach. Shows genuine regard for our business, any obstacles and ways to overcome them’
‘very diligent and extremely responsive. We know we will hear back from Azeem quickly be it an evening, weekend or even whilst on leave’
Leasing (with particular expertise in occupier work), investment acquisitions and disposals, new build commercial developments (with particular expertise in retail) and portfolio management.
- Blackadders LLP.
- Brodies LLP.
- Scullion Law.