Max qualified in 1980 and worked at a number of City Firms, including Freshfields and what became DLA, before becoming a partner in Frere Cholmeley in 1987. He acted for a range of substantial US corporations making first-time investments in UK operations. He moved to Payne Hicks Beach in 1995, where he was a partner for 22 years.
As well as advising on corporate finance matters, involving both private and public company work, Max has a specialisation in financial services law, starting with the structure which came into effect in 1988. He has taken this further to include regulatory work (including the Proceeds of Crime and Bribery Acts).
His range of work includes:
• Acting as lead partner for listed clients in the agricultural, services, supply and food industries
• Advising major shareholders in offshore companies, which were listed in London, on the requirements for offers governed by the City Code
• Acting for a number of multinationals in the acquisition of private and public UK entities
• Advising on demergers and reconstructions of family businesses, including those connected with divorce
• Acting as Head of Compliance for a major London law firm, giving regulatory and compliance advice to a range of large financial institutions