Jonathan practised at boutique Mayfair law firm, Reid Minty, where he became head of the corporate team. He acted for Liverpool Football Club, Southampton Football Club and various players on image rights deals, as well as a successful action against the Premier League retain and transfer system and advising David Beckham’s agents on his DB7 trademark.
Jonathan then became Partner and Head of Corporate respectively over a 10 year period at Bates Wells & Braithwaite (top tier charity sector firm) and Devonshires (top tier social housing firm) and developed extensive experience of looking after the corporate and commercial aspects of charity and social housing transactions. Jonathan’s experience includes acting for or on:
- London’s biggest social housing developer on the acquisition of Walthamstow dog track and facilities
- the UK’s special hospitals on the extension of facilities
- the management team on the first hedge fund-backed ‘take private’ in the City of London of Whitehead Mann Plc
- the disposal of one of the great travel consolidators of the 1990s, Travel 2 and Travel 4
- the acquisition of various Aga trademarks and businesses for Beko Plc
- the disposal of a number of marketing and branding agencies to Omnicom and other networks
- joint venture between Cobra GT and Mclaren F1 to develop a Mclaren GT motor racing team
- listing of a Jersey investment company on AIM
- structuring an LLP investment manager and Jersey investment fund
- advising international luxury travel exhibition company This is Beyond
- acting for management team in the acquisition of private equity backed hobby craft company
- establishing private equity firm Quay Partners in Guernsey
In 2018 Jonathan founded health brand sense* providing (super)food supplements to Boots and online. This has given Jonathan a great insight into client pressures and what clients need from their legal advisers.
Jonathan has played rugby for Northampton Saints, Rosslyn Park and London Welsh, and participates in sports including triathlon, channel swim relay and cycling challenges, often in aid of charity.