Partner - Commercial Dispute Resolution
Stuart is a City-trained lawyer and formerly Head of Commercial Litigation in London at a large City law firm. He was the European President of an international lawyers’ network and received an award for his services to that organisation. Stuart is a qualified mediator and former member of the bar in the United States.
He acts for large corporates, both in the UK and overseas. Industries include engineering, pharmaceutical, automotive, facilities management, healthcare, engineering and professional services. Matters handled include contractual disputes, boardroom disputes, construction and engineering disputes, intellectual property disputes and professional indemnity.
Recent highlights for clients have included:
• Acting for and representing a supplier of plant and machinery to the railway network on a contractual dispute over liability for, and price adjustment to reflect upgrades to such P&M, which went to trial in the Technology and Construction Court.
• Acting for and representing a US company on a contractual dispute arising out of the termination of a long term distribution agreement with a UK company. This was the subject of LCIA arbitration.
• Representing a UK company specialising in the design and installation of roof lighting on a multi-party dispute concerning alleged defects to the roof and multi-million pound costs of remedial action.
• Acting for Spanish-based oil distributor on LCIA arbitration concerning dispute with owner over terms of charterparty; owner claiming accrued demurrage where the ship was delayed offshore due to the closure of its destination port because of Covid-19.
• Representing commercial law firm on dispute with ex-member over their expulsion from the LLP.
• Representing an international pharmaceutical company on contractual disputes with counterparts and structuring of settlements.
• Acting for US corporation on various commercial disputes, including the management of such disputes overseas through the liaison with local professionals.
“Thank you first of all for the oversight and care…a huge, additional comfort and a delicate touch where needed. Fully appreciated….second, a more general thank you. You have been a constant in challenging circumstances…that has brought reassurance, clarity and a human touch which is hard to find these days….you have made an enormous difference that goes beyond your professional responsibility. Thank you, really.”
“We were in awe of the response you produced. We have complete confidence in you and the team.”
“Wherever you go, we go.”
“You are one of the best Stuart, that first letter was one of the best crafted responses I have ever read and truly showed deep understanding – very rare!”
“Thank you very much once again for your kind and knowledgeable support in a moment of great despair. I am extremely grateful for your support and will recommend you to those interested and in need of similar services.”
“You’ll hear nothing but good things from me. Your patience, professionalism and sound advice were very much appreciated….The result was very favourably received here. I have made it clear to all that it was our top-notch representation in the UK which made the result possible.”
Contractual disputes; boardroom disputes; partnership disputes; professional indemnity; construction and engineering disputes; intellectual property disputes; jurisdictional disputes; litigation, arbitration and ADR/mediation
- BLM/Clyde & Co
- Rawlison Butler/DMH Stallard