Stuart is a City-trained lawyer and formerly Head of Commercial Litigation in London at a large City law firm. He was the European President of an international lawyers’ network and received an award for his services to that organisation. Stuart is a qualified mediator and former member of the bar in the United States.
He acts for large corporates, both in the UK and overseas. Industries include engineering, pharmaceutical, automotive, facilities management, healthcare, engineering and professional services. Matters handled include contractual disputes, boardroom disputes, construction and engineering disputes, intellectual property disputes and professional indemnity.
Recent highlights for clients have included:
• Acting for and representing a supplier of plant and machinery to the railway network on a contractual dispute over liability for, and price adjustment to reflect upgrades to such P&M, which went to trial in the Technology and Construction Court.
• Acting for and representing a US company on a contractual dispute arising out of the termination of a long term distribution agreement with a UK company. This was the subject of LCIA arbitration.
• Representing a UK company specialising in the design and installation of roof lighting on a multi-party dispute concerning alleged defects to the roof and multi-million pound costs of remedial action.
• Acting for Spanish-based oil distributor on LCIA arbitration concerning dispute with owner over terms of charterparty; owner claiming accrued demurrage where the ship was delayed offshore due to the closure of its destination port because of Covid-19.
• Representing commercial law firm on dispute with ex-member over their expulsion from the LLP.
• Representing an international pharmaceutical company on contractual disputes with counterparts and structuring of settlements.
• Acting for US corporation on various commercial disputes, including the management of such disputes overseas through the liaison with local professionals.