If a dispute arises, you need a dispute resolution lawyer by your side who is able to assess the merits and advise strategically in order to achieve a commercial outcome at the earliest stage. Bringing contentious matters to a resolution within the parameters of an appropriate costs budget is critical to litigation work in the modern era.
Our dispute resolution lawyers are proactive, commercially-minded and realistic, as well as technically proficient, with a forensic eye for detail in assessing the merits. They recommend strategies for the early resolution of disputes, including by means of negotiation, mediation and early neutral evaluation. Where it is not possible to resolve a dispute satisfactorily by agreement, our lawyers pursue the proceedings, whether before the courts, a tribunal or an arbitration panel, with efficiency and resolution.
We are experienced in all the major forms of dispute resolution, including the English courts (from County or High Court through to the Supreme Court), appeals from Commonwealth courts to the Privy Council, international arbitration, adjudication and the tribunal system.
We are well placed to assist in international arbitration, whether as legal counsel or an arbitrator. Our arbitration work includes ad hoc, CIMAR, ICC and LCIA.
We are experienced in the enforcement of judgments and arbitral awards and we successfully obtain interim remedies such as freezing orders. Prevention is better than cure, and a key part of our work involves assisting our clients with minimising the possibility of a dispute arising in the first place. As dispute-resolution lawyers, we have a unique insight into what can cause commercial relationships to go wrong and where the stress points are in a contract, and how to deal with those effectively. We have considerable experience in advising clients with pre-contractual negotiations and with risk management at the contract-drafting stage, as well as with the conduct of issues arising during the lifetime of a commercial relationship in order to reduce the risk of matters deteriorating and to keep dealings with the other side harmonious and business-like.
Our dispute resolution lawyers benefit also from the firm’s sector focus to bring specialists together who understand the commercial and legal landscape that applies to the sector. We have dispute resolution experts in the following sectors:
- Construction and Engineering
- Inheritance and trust disputes
- Family & Divorce
- Immigration disputes
- Professional practices
Our cybersecurity legal service capability is comprehensive in scope, extending beyond data privacy.
We are experienced in most types of commercial disputes. Particular specialisms include:
- pre-contractual negotiations, pre-action engagement, and other behind-the-scenes advisory and risk-management work
- employment-related disputes and restraint of trade/restrictive covenants
- construction claims
- professional negligence claims
- insurance claims
- supplier/contractor disputes
- debt claims
- general commercial contract claims
- international trade disputes
- shareholder, JV, earn-out and company/partnership/limited liability partnership disputes and director and officer liability disputes
- procurement claims
- procedural battles, including jurisdiction challenges, security for costs, other interim relief applications, disclosure disputes and taking of evidence/deposition/examination requests
- landlord and tenant disputes
- real estate disputes
- professional football-related sports law
- contested trust and probate claims
- disputes between joint owners of property and ownership of property
- freezing injunction orders
- companies from a wide range of sectors, including technology, construction and engineering, financial services, international trade, media, leisure, insurance, biotech, fintech, digital health, healthcare & life sciences, property developers and investors, hotel owners and operators
- government and quasi-government bodies
- individuals and partnerships
- entrepreneurs and business owners
- foreign law firms
- professional football-related clients
Commercial and residential real estate and property frequently gives rise to disputes. It is important to have lawyers at your side who are experienced in the type of dispute and asset class and who advise on a strategy for an early resolution. For property disputes in particular, it is often in parties’ interests to resolve matters without going to Court, to avoid delay and cost.
Our Real Estate and Property dispute practitioners are highly experienced lawyers, who are familiar with a wide range of commercial and residential property disputes. Our lawyers work as a practice area in order to combine the strengths of the team, bringing together practitioners, who between them have dealt with all classes of property and a wide range of disputes.
Types of disputes includes:
- landlord and tenant disputes, such as arising from non-payment of rent, breach of covenant, dilapidations, options and break clauses
- contractual and conveyancing disputes, including those arising contracts for the disposal or acquisition of property
- title issues, including claims between joint owners of property or someone who believes they have an interest in a property despite not being a registered proprietor
- residential leasehold disputes, including claims for possession, service charge disputes and disrepair claims
- leasehold enfranchisement
- lease extensions
- disputes in relation to development, including arising out of plans for infill development, ancillary rights, boundaries, party walls, basements and air space rights