Our practitioners are highly experienced in dispute resolution. We are proactive, commercially-minded and realistic, as well as technically proficient, with a forensic eye for detail in our approach to assessing the merits and advising on strategy for resolving disputes at the earliest stage. Bringing contentious matters to a resolution within the parameters of an appropriate costs budget is critical to litigation work in the modern era.
We are experienced in all the major forms of dispute resolution, including the English courts (from County or High Court through to the Supreme Court), appeals from Commonwealth courts to the Privy Council, international arbitration, adjudication and the tribunal system. One of our partners is a qualified solicitor-advocate (Higher Rights, Civil Proceedings).
We are well placed to assist in international arbitration, whether as legal counsel or an arbitrator. One of our lawyers is qualified as a Chartered Arbitrator and has the CIArb Diploma in international commercial arbitration. Our arbitration work includes ad hoc, CIMAR, ICC and LCIA.
We have acted in numerous mediations. One of our partners is a CEDR accredited mediator.
Prevention is better than cure, and a key part of our work therefore involves assisting our clients with minimising the possibility of a dispute arising in the first place. As dispute-resolution lawyers, we have a unique insight into what can cause commercial relationships to go wrong and where the stress points are in a contract, and how to deal with those effectively. We have considerable experience in advising clients with pre-contractual negotiations and with risk management at the contract-drafting stage, as well as with the conduct of issues arising during the lifetime of a commercial relationship in order to reduce the risk of matters deteriorating and to keep dealings with the other side harmonious and business-like.
We advise on
We are experienced in most types of commercial disputes. Particular specialisms include:
- pre-contractual negotiations, pre-action engagement, and other behind-the-scenes advisory and risk-management work
- employment-related disputes and restraint of trade/restrictive covenants
- construction claims
- professional negligence claims
- insurance claims
- supplier/contractor disputes
- debt claims
- general commercial contract claims
- international trade disputes
- shareholder, JV, earn-out and company/partnership/limited liability partnership disputes
- D&O liability disputes
- procurement claims
- procedural battles, including jurisdiction challenges, security for costs, other interim relief applications, disclosure disputes and taking of evidence/deposition/examination requests
- landlord and tenant disputes
- real estate disputes
- professional football-related sports law
We work with
- companies from a wide range of sectors, including technology, construction and engineering, financial services, international trade, media, leisure, insurance, biotech, fintech, digital health, healthcare & life sciences, property developers and investors, hotel owners and operators
- government and quasi-government bodies
- individuals and partnerships
- entrepreneurs and business owners
- foreign law firms
- professional football-related clients